“NARROW IS ALWAYS FASTER PROVIDED THE NECESSARY STABILITY CAN BE OBTAINED AT COMPARABLE WEIGHT
A narrow Open 60’ would not slam and bang as a wider boat in heavy seas and would therefore be less likely to suffer structural damage”
da Bruce Kirby “The battle between speed and stability” – SAIL Magazine, May 1997
JUNOPLANO – originally designed and owned by Sandro Buzzi- is a very innovating project among the high-speed ocean yachts.
The result of a 3 years engineering process and strict cooperation between Alberto Calderon –principal designer of Stars & Stripes, San Diego- and Sandro Buzzi who contributed his 30 years offshore navigations experience and his engineer’s mentality and approach.
Both for her project and construction JUNOPLANO was at the time of her build the most high-tech cruiser-racer afloat. The one who presents practical solutions to the basic sailing topics:
• Flat boat at any wind angle
• Soft passage through choppy sea by narrow hull and least pitching moment
• Superb pointing ability and minimized leeway by twin-foils “collective” control
• The highest LPS (limit of positive stabilty) at 170°. Self righting boat.
• More drive and less sailing moment by rotating mast and sail-vector
Her innovation moved in 3 distinct directions:
1. Hydrodynamic plan i.e. appendages
3. Aerodynamic plan i.e. mast and sailplan