C&C 66 Custom Sloop
Tel: +39 333 74 89 281
PHANTOM was launched in 1973 as a custom ocean performance sloop for her first American owner who successfully campaigned her for more than a decade, picking up such accolades as line honours in the Fort Lauderdale to Charleston race with a time that stood unbeaten until 2009.
Designed and built by the legendary Canadian shipyard Cuthbertson & Cassian’ Custom Division, PHANTOM was a ground-breaking yacht at the time. At 66ft, she was the largest GRP sandwich construction boat that C&C had built, a step up from their previous 61ft production models, and the legendary C&C 40 ‘RED JACKET’ which in 1966 was the first boat to feature this new sandwich technology. Along with her innovative sandwich construction, PHANTOM also boasted twin wheels, dedicated sheet and spinnaker winches and a high aspect sail plan, all rare to find in the mid 1970’s, but now seen as a standard fitment some 50 years later.
In later life PHANTOM moved to the St.Tropez where she became one of the earliest yachts owned by Luca Bassani who later went on to found Wally Yachts, PHANTOM and her forward-thinking innovative design no doubt fitting well with his vision which has made the Wally brand so famous.
Sold into her current ownership in 1996, PHANTOM has been continually restored, updated and professionally maintained to provide her owners with a reliable family cruiser that can still show formidable pace in the various Mediterranean regattas. A full restoration between 2004 and 2006 has been followed more recently by a further refit in 2021.
For anyone looking for a timeless, elegant and competitive ‘classic’ Maxi yacht without the financial pain of maintaining a wooden vessel, PHANTOM is without a doubt, the ideal solution.
Her specification highlights include:-
• Cuthbertson & Cassian custom design and build.
• GRP sandwich construction
• Teak laid decks
• Modern Volvo Penta D3 engine
• Recent hull and rig paint
• High masthead rig with rod standing rigging
• Twin helm wheels
• Electrified winch system
• Twin wheels
• Spacious well protected aft cockpit
• Three cabins interior layout plus crew
RECENT REFIT HISTORY:
• German main sheet system in the cockpit - 2023
• Main winches coffee grinder assisted electrified - 2021
• New portside bunk beds cabin to replace the breakfast nook.
• New ensuite heads in the owner cabin - 2021
• New Awlgrip Maraton White hull paint - 2021
• New Awlgrip mast and boom paint - 2021